Activate and Access your New Student Account
New incoming students can follow these steps to activate and access their new UC San Diego email account. If you already created an account and need to reset your password, you can find instructions on "Reset your Student Account Password."
- Students will be issued a campus username and email account shortly after accepting an offer of admission.
- After receiving the account creation task on the Applicant Portal, students can activate their account using the Manage SSO Tool.
- The process below will confirm your identity, link your student personal ID (PID) to your new email account and allow you to activate the account by setting its password.
- You will also use that username and password to access other campus resources such as the Canvas Learning Management System, WiFi, etc.
- Undergraduate student accounts may take up to 24 hours before mailbox access is possible, while graduate student accounts may take up to 7 business days.
Note: If you have already registered your account but forgot your password, you can reset it at password.ucsd.edu.
Steps to Take
Create Your UCSD Account
- You should have received an email to register for your account. The email should include a link to the Manage SSO Tool which can be used to create your account:
- Enter the required information.
- Once you press submit, you should see the following page to set up your password. A separate email will be sent to you containing the username shown on your screen for your records.
- On this page your should see:
- Your new UCSD username and email address
- The personal email at which you will receive the confirmation email
- Set your password. Once you have set your password, you should receive another email confirmation stating you have finished setting up your account.
- Finished! Go to the steps below to set up your Duo Two-Step. Once you’ve registered for Duo, you will be able to access your UCSD applications! Welcome to UCSD!
Set up Duo Two-Step Authentication
- Once you have set your password, you should be able to login to the Duo Registration Portal. All UCSD students and employees are required to use Duo two-step authentication.
- More details and instructions on Duo Two Step can be found on the Two-Step Login Blink Article.
Log in to your UCSD email
- Once your account is setup, it will take up to 24 hours before you can access your student email and setup email on your device. All new undergraduate students and most new graduate students will access student email on Gmail with @ucsd.edu included in the username.
- Graduate student accounts may take up to 7 business days before mailbox access is possible.
- If you are unsure where your student email is located, information about where to access your email can be found using the Student Account Lookup tool.
Set Lived Name and Pronouns (if applicable)
All students can provide their lived first and middle names as well as personal pronouns in the campus data system.
- Visit MyTritonLink.
- Under "Personal Tools", select "Social Identities".
- On the left sidebar, select "Lived Name".
- Click "Add Lived Name".
- You will be prompted to select aspects of their name to change.
- After you click "Continue", you will be asked to confirm.
- Once confirmed, you will be set to go and the your Lived Name will be registered in the system!
More information about Lived Names for Students can be found here.